Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter, finally

The kids had a great time on Easter. They ate more candy then I usually let them have in a week. Their baskets also had monster trucks in them so they were supper excited.


Connor made bunny ears at school



Hudson had to try them on too!
Your going to make us wear matching shirts & hold hands?

So, I only had one problem with the whole day. I guess I never thought about it before, but the Easter Bunny has absolutely NOTHING to do with Easter. I looked it up to figure out what to tell Connor about the bunny. It is a pagan fertility symbol. Great! So, we really played down the whole bunny thing. It's just that I grew up with a very selfish attitude about holidays. I never knew why I was celebrating anything. Just that I was getting something. I really want our kids to know WHY. So, we explained what Easter really is, in a way a 3 year old can handle. But really the whole bunny thing is not sitting well with me. Of course I am not going to take away the bunny or the basket or the goodies, but I was glad that after they got their baskets they never mentioned it again. And when you ask Connor why we celebrate Easter he says "It's when Jesus got to go see his Daddy".