Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Connor

I know what you were thinking, Is Mom even going to write a birthday blog this year? I admit it, the older you boys get, the busier we get and the less time I have to sit and write. But I wouldn't miss this one. Happy 6th birthday champ! Champ is a great nickname for you. You are one of the hardest working kids I have ever seen. Once you try something you don't stop until you are great at it. This year you didn't really learn to do anything new, but you worked hard to do everything better. In Taekwondo you have gone from a yellow belt to a 2nd level blue belt. You can tie your shoes without any help. You went from just making it across the pool to swimming on the swim team and touching the bottom of the deep end of our pool. In soccer you had more goals than the rest of the team combined. You have gone from sounding out words to reading books. And during one hockey practice your coach came up to me and told me that he saw professional potential in you. Son, maybe better isn't strong enough a word. I can't even begin to tell you how proud Dad and I are of you. We always know you are trying your best. Sometimes I worry about how competitive you are, but really, there was no escaping that gene as you get it from both parents! As Daddy says, "were the Woods, we like to win".You had a great final year at Preschool. You loved having Mrs. Jenkins as your teacher. And she loved having you as well. You are certainly ready for Kindergarten. You were so excited on the tour of your new school. Last year I wrote that the great food battle had been won. I was WRONG. But now I think we are close. You eat spinach, broccoli, cheese, eggs (and hardly ever throw up any more). You will try anything I put in front of you. You even eat pepperoni and sausage on your pizza! You still have my crazy sweet tooth, but you really do want to make good choices.
One of my (& Miss Erin's) FAVORITE things to watch you do is tell a story. You are so animated in your story telling. You take what could be a few quick sentences and draw them out over minutes with hand gestures and you really love to add the word "absolutely" for emphasis. You absolutely say it too much. But it is so cute I hope you absolutely never stop!

Another trait I want to make sure I mention is your faith. I love listening to your nightly prayers. I love the way you pay attention in Sunday School and you eagerness to learn about God. Every week you truly enjoy attending church. You know the bible stories better than I do. It is going to be hard handing you off to different Sunday School teachers this year!
I know this sounds like a brag fest, but you really do give me & your Dad tons to brag about. You are a great kid. Daddy & I are so proud of you & love you so very much!
Love,
Mom