Friday, January 22, 2010

Adventures in remodeling

Here in the Woods home we always paint in our underwear! Why are we painting in our underwear? Well to keep our clothes free of paint, of course...but the other reason is best explained by the following conversation which took place 3 weeks ago...


Me: I am going to paint the guest room tomorrow. We have guests coming over the next few months and i just want to freshen it up, make it presentable, spend minimal money and put it at the BOTTOM of the remodel list. Since it's the guest room and not really a priority. Honey, can you please fill in the nail holes for me.
Brandon: Sure.
(Brandon begins filling in the nail holes)
Brandon: This wall is covered in wall paper & then someone painted over it.
Me: Yes, I know.
B: That is stupid.
Me: Yes, I know.
B: Are you just going to paint over it again?
Me: That was the plan.
B: If we are going to do this room we should do it right and rip this down. Plus, I want to take down the popcorn ceiling. And the crown molding needs to be redone, and look at the bad job they did on the baseboard.
Me: I just want to paint.
B: This is crazy. This is a waste of money.
Me: I just want to paint. It will cost like $50.
B: We need to do this right.
Me: I just want to paint and then in a few years, you know, after the rooms we ACTUALLY USE are done, we can come back to this room. Plus, I'm not doing all of that work. I don't know how. If you want to remodel then this goes from being MY project to being YOUR project.
B: (goes back to the holes in the wall, 30 seconds later...) That's it...were doing this right.
Me: Well...um...you know... if we do this then the floor HAS TO be done too and that is going to be expensive (take that!)
B: huh, what kind of floor do you want?
Me: hardwood...the whole house. (that should stop him!)
B: Fine! Find some hardwood floors and help me empty this room.

Within 2 hours the guestroom was empty, the crown molding and baseboard were down and the popcorn ceiling had been scraped off. The next 2 nights were spent peeling the wallpaper off. Next Brandon applied a knock down finish to the ceiling and texture to the drywall. We have painted and installed a new ceiling fan and changed all of the door hardware. The hardwood floors have been ordered..for the entire house! Brandon is going to install them...should only take 2 or 3 years. So, my $50 "touch-up" just cost us more than it cost me to go to college. But really, this will be much more useful!
This is a picture of all of the guestroom stuff in it's temporary home...the living room! Hopefully you can't see my reflection in the mirror...I had been painting, so of course, I'm in my underwear!