Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Keeing them busy

Every time I sit at the computer to write a post I have an internal argument about whether to write a "new" post or actually finish the 3 remaining Christmas posts. You can see which side of me won today. I WILL write those Christmas posts one day, just not today. We have had a cold snap in Florida recently. And YES, to all our Northern family & friends I KNOW, I KNOW...I've gone soft. But when you are used to 80's, 30's makes you want to cry. We have been forced to find indoor activities for the boys. OMG...how do parents in cold climates do it? It might be easier if we had girls, but we have 2 boys who love to run around. Actually, they require it. And then there is Brandon. Every year when the clock rolls back he is depressed for a week, constantly pointing out to anyone who will listen how dark it is outside. Sooooo in order to not rot the boys brains with television or Super Mario Brothers (they totally saved the princess anyway!) we have had to be creative. Now, to be fair I am better at coming up with this stuff and Brandon is better at facilitating the fun. I bought a pack of 150 marbles for $3 and we have played various marble games nightly. I dug out our old dominoes and we have taught the boys how to play that as well. We have been playing more and more board games. I am not a fan of board games, but the kids are. Only hard part with board games is the difference in ability between the boys. Hudson sometimes needs a partner and then he gets bored pretty quickly. The other day I took the dominoes and made various tracks for the boys to knock down. This was the only one they gave me a second to snap a pic of before they knocked it down.The other toy we have been playing with is the Master Caster. This is a toy from the late 70's/early 80's. They don't make it anymore. Brandon had it when he was a kid and has great memories of it. After months of searching,I finally found one on Ebay. Brandon was so excited to share a childhood memory with the boys. Here's how it works...You put wax (or crayons) into the little metal cup, 20 minutes later the wax is melted, you pick out the mold of a car you would like to make, put some tires in the mold, crank the wheel and the wax pours into the mold. Once it dries you have a custom made matchbox car. And, if you used crayons you can color with it too! The boys love their "new" toy!