Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Connor!

Dear Connor,

Happy 5th Birthday! I cannot believe that you are 5 years old today. This is the first of your birthday’s that has really hit me emotionally. Maybe it is the way all people count milestones in terms of 5 or 10 years. Maybe it is this is the first year that I see you more as a kid than a child. Either way I have been looking at you in a different light all week.

This has been a huge year for you. In more ways than one. We just measured and weighed you. You are 43 lbs and 44 inches tall. This past year you have learned to
- Read
- Write
- Roller blade
- Ice skate
- Play hockey
- You have started karate lessons
- Swim in the pool unassisted
- Make friends

It has been an absolute pleasure watching your Dad teach you to read. When you are older you will understand why Dad taught you and not me. Your Dad has an unlimited amount of patience and mine is somewhat limited. Plus, your Dad is just a way better teacher than I am. Today you read the word Horizon off of a package and made us so proud. You are so hard on yourself when you struggle with a word. We are constantly cheering you on and fighting against that side of your personality. If there were one gift I could give you it would be self-confidence. You always strive to be the best at whatever you are doing. Sometimes you try so hard you cause yourself to breakdown emotionally. Your desire to be great is unbelievable. Dad and I are always so careful with our words when we speak to you. We always tell you to try your best, but you always want to BE the best.

This year we won the great food battle. It has been almost a year since you have puked at a meal. You will try anything we ask you to. You still puke at the site/ smell of broccoli. We let broccoli be the only food you don’t have to eat. Though I sneak it into lots of food that you don’t know about. One day I will tell you all the things you have eaten that you didn’t know about.

You are such a happy kid. We get comments all the time regarding the amount of smiling you do! You are always singing and dancing around the house. This year your favorite song is Rocket by Def Leopard. I am saving the videos for blackmail when you are older. One day you will hear me say “clean your room or I’ll show your friends the video of you singing Rocket in your cowboy hat & underwear!”

You make friends easily. We taught you to just go up to any kid you would like to know and ask their name. You do this without hesitation. Due to this you have a ton of friends. This is a quality I hope you never lose. Son, you can never have too many friends. You will learn that as your life goes through changes your friends will change as well. The ability to make new ones is a skill you will always be glad you have.

I know I have said this before, but I feel the need to say once again what a great big brother you are. You set a wonderful example for Hudson. He may not always follow it, but you still set it. I once told you that we made Hudson so you would always have someone to play with. You never treat him like a baby and always let him play whatever game you are playing. He looks up to you and you are a huge part of the reason Hudson is able to do so much at his young age.

When I think of you I can’t help but think of the word responsible. It may seem weird for some to think of a 5 year old as responsible, but you really are. You have a list of chores that you enjoy doing. You love allowance day. The sense of accomplishment is clear when looking at your face. You save your allowance/ gift money for so long that just last month you bought yourself a toy, kept $5 in your wallet and put $50 in your bank.

Of all the special moments I am privileged to share with you my favorite is prayer time. Listening to you talk to God is the best 2 minutes of my day. Your heart is so pure and full of love. You speak as if to a friend. You pray for others. We have never told you what to say in your prayers, so what comes out is straight from your heart. Your words just the other night….
Dear God, thank you for our wonderful day and all our blessings. Help us to remember that people all over the world need help. We love you Jesus. Please help us to remember to listen to our Moms and Dads. Please take care of the hungry people and the poor people. We love you. In your name, Amen.

Connor, I will never be able to explain to you how much your Dad and I love you. You make us proud each and every day. I thank God that he let me be YOUR Mommy!
I Love You! Happy Birthday Buddy!

Love,
Mom