Thursday, July 16, 2009

I don't even like pirates!

Let's just say that Connor's birthday party last year cost almost as much as Brandon's minivan. Soooo, I had a great idea on how we could save money this year. I planned for us to go to Pirates Dinner Adventure and let him bring as many kids as we could fit in the van. I figured it would be easy, entertaining and CHEAP! I tried my best to get Connor excited about it. It wasn't really working. Then I checked the prices. It was going to cost us about $400!!! WHAT??? I had no idea. Luckily the week before his birthday Connor said to me "Mom, I don't think the pirate show is a good idea for my birthday, I don't even like pirates". I asked him what HE wanted to do for his birthday (hmmm, maybe I should have started there) and he said "I want to go bowling, CiCi's pizza and have a dinosaur cake". DONE! A couple of bowling parties we have gone to the parents kinda get in the way and it seems more like a social event. So we decided not to invite any. Plus kids behave waaaaay better when their own parents are not there. We told Connor he could invite as many kids as fit in the van as we would be driving all of them. We had everyone meet at our house and then off we went for the least expensive party ever! I had free bowling passes I got by signing up for the on-line coupons at the AMF website. I only had to pay for their rentals. Erin came along with us to take pics and because Olivia is still 3 and kinda young to drop off at a party. Then Erin (our sister in-law) met us at the bowling alley to help us out as well.Next it was off to CiCi's pizza. Connor's favorite place to eat. Uncle Justin met us there as well! The kids were awesome. We were like a well oiled machine! I paid, Brandon & Erin sat the kids down, Justin & Erin got all of the kids drinks. No one wined, no one complained that we didn't offer soda. They all ate great! Plus we fed 8 kids and 5 adults for $50!Then it was back to our house for dinosaur cake & presents!Yes, we bought him a BB gun. No, I do not want your opinion!Right after cake the kids wanted to go swimming. They swam until it was time for the parents to pick them up. The boys had fun dunking!
Air Connor!Then Brandon showed them how to empty the pool! I wish that picture wasn't fuzzy and I wish you could hear the ROAR that comes out of his mouth when he dunks! The boys thought he was pretty cool!
It was a great little party and as usual I learned a lesson from our kids. just listen to what they want. Most of the time the best ideas are the simple ones!