Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First day of school

Connor had his first day at his new preschool. Of course I forgot to take a the ceremonial picture of him with his back pack on. So, here is a picture of the guy he decorated for his classroom. We had fun decorating it. I do not believe in doing a kids work for them just to make it look better. So, I made the eyes to give him a place to start and then off he went. I squirted the glitter glue for him, but he choose the colors and spread it out by himself. Clean up was an adventure and I am just glad that Hudson was asleep while we took on this project.

Connor has 2 teachers. Let's call them teacher 1 and teacher 2. I love teacher 1. You can just tell she is made to be a preschool teacher. And lets face it, it takes a special person to have that kind of love and patience with children...especially 10 of them! She remembered Connor's name on the first day and when I picked him up she stopped what she was doing to give him a hug goodbye. I love her! Then there is teacher 2. Let's just say I don't love her quite as much. I am guessing she does not have kids and thought that early childhood ed sounded like a good major. I hope I am jumping to conclusions. I hope I am overreacting. I brought Connor to his room and he happily ran off to play. So, I took his lunch and put it in his cubby. She scolded me and told me that he was supposed to do it. Nice start. When I picked him up she told me that Connor was spitting. I was shocked as he has never done this at home. I told her I would talk with him and that I was very concerned. I asked who he had spit on and she told me that he wasn't really spitting, but blowing bubbles. That's a bit different than spitting, but I talked to him anyway. Then she said that he wouldn't sit still. I told her we would work on that as well. I'm not overly concerned as it was the first day back at school and he is 3! It took a while last year to get used to "the rules". I have a feeling that I am not going to warm up to teacher #2. First impressions are hard to erase, but time will tell.

According to Connor he had a good day at school. He wants to go back and that is a good sign. He also told me that he really likes teacher #1. He played with a girl named Amelia and outside time is his favorite.

I thought I would get a bunch of stuff done, but I really just missed the little guy so I didn't get much done at all. Hudson kept hanging on the front door saying "school, school". He missed Connor. I was pretty happy to see that.